Saturday, July 10, 2010

Goldilocs for Less

Dear BFDiary,

I get more compliments on my natural hair than I ever did with my bone-straight look. Before when someone would praise my do, it was more of a tribute to my stylist and a plea for her number so they could lay down $45, and 3-8 hours, and come out achieving the exact same look, how un-original. Once I got tired of looking like most of the chicks around me (and the money and time that went down the drain to produce my style) I restored my relationship with my crown and I've enjoyed learning all the cool stuff it can do without extreme heat or chemicals. If I want to cut my hair, I cut it (that actually happened in my kitchen a few months ago). If I want to go the beach, I go ALL in, no swim cap here. And now when someone gives me a compliment I can appreciate it more, because its the result of my own creative labor with help from the ultimate Creator. I can understand if you aren't ready to commit to a natural style, but I can also understand the need to be smarter about the money and time you put into maintaining your style and the need for a healthier look. Follow these tips from some of my favorite hair experts to reclaim your glam this summer.

1.
Cool Off. Over the past two decades, stylist and salon co-owner of Episodes Salon in Detroit, Jill Bundy, says the most common mistake she’s seen women make in styling their hair between trips to the salon, is applying too much heat. “Women flat iron or curl their hair everyday to maintain a style, and then they wonder why it’s coming out in clumps,” Bundy says. Playing kitchen beautician every morning may give you short-term results, but the constant heat robs your hair of vital moisture and elasticity. Weaker hair is less likely to hold styles over time. Wrap or roll your hair at night instead of applying heat.

2. Ditch the sponge Rolling your hair at night adds volume to your hair weeks after your salon visit, but only if you use the right kind of rollers. “Sponge rollers do the same thing to hair that sponges do to water—soak up the moisture,” Bundy says. Without moisture the hair grows limp, reversing the effects of why you roll in the first place. Use plastic rollers like CONAIR Styling Essentials Self-Grip rollers ($10.49, Walgreens) to revitalize your beautiful bounce.

3. Upgrade your goodie bag As a hair-care assistant at Women’s Hair Care Center, Inc. in Brooklyn, New York, Modestina Bell, knows how much cash it takes to maintain a trendy do. She sells safe top-shelf products, which require a cosmetologist license, to clientele she knows can’t afford bi-weekly salon visits. “If you invest in quality products, your hair will go a long way even when you’re styling it at home,” Bell says. She recommends asking your stylist for Mizani Shampoo and Conditioner to get started.

4. Lighten up When choosing a styling agent for your hair, use a light oil such as olive oil or shea butter. “Heavy greases and sprays that promise to lock your style into place weigh down your hair and make it dirtier, faster,” says Jill Bundy. “Dirty hair never looks good.”

5. Be consistent Stick to the hair-care regimen that your stylist recommends to secure style longevity, Bundy says. “Some people think they only need to start home maintenance once their hair starts to look bad,” she says. “By then it’s too late.” Working your hair care routine from the time you leave the shop until the time you return, means you won’t have to visit as often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loving the look and feel of my natural hair!