Tuesday, June 22, 2010

True Swag Tuesdays

SHARISSE "SHE-SALT" STANCIL-ASHFORD
[click here to see She-Salt in action]


AGE 23
HOMETOWN White Plains, NY
BACKGROUND Syracuse University '09: Public Policy and Music History and Culture
HOW SHE PAYS THE BILLS Policy and Programs Assistant at a local non-profit
GRIND MC, Vocalist, Songwriter, Artist, and CEO of She-Salt Music

Her story has that fairy tale beginning factor, but this artist is not your everyday damsel in distress turned overnight music success. Sharisse Stancil-Ashford has been singing, writing, and creating since she was a little one and took her talent to the next level during her time at Syracuse University where she served as event planner and later president of the Black Artist League. She also performed and was a director of the Black Celestial Choral Ensemble. And no diva this captivating would walk across the stage without first crossing the burning sands into Delta Land. She became a member of the Kappa Lambda Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. in the spring of 2009 just before she graduated. Life after graduation has been no crystal stair, but Sharisse is maximizing every moment. She's gone from managing $50,000 budgets and showcases with artists like Slick Rick pre-grad, to interning for free post-grad, but she's still pushing forward. No shortcuts for this songstress, she’s only satisfied when the stage is set her way, on her terms. Here’s how she grinds.

HOW SHE WENT FROM COLLEGE INTERN TO COLLEGE GRADUATE, AND BACK TO INTERN

I interned at Sony BMG/Zomba Gospel before senior year. When I graduated from SU I did not have a job lined up. After a couple months, I found myself working at an after school program with 5th graders. Not that I don’t love kids, but that’s not what I saw myself doing. But you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do to eat. You also have to pay for your hustle and your grind because it’s not going to pay for itself…yet.

I still intern at SOB's (Sounds of Brazil) in Manhattan and help plan Soul Village because I have to be in the type of environment where I see myself. I surround myself with the things and people that I see myself being around.


WHY SHE GRINDS

I’d love to be self-sufficient, relying on myself and my music, and traveling the world as an artist. I also want to pen songs for established artists. I see myself contributing to my community and my people in a greater way than I already am by providing a network of grassroots community centers and organizations to help them in their efforts.


FRUITS OF HER LABOR

I was at an event for my sorority and a woman recognized me as a performer from a show I did at SOB's. It’s rewarding when people recognize me and appreciate what I do.

I’m also affiliated with ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers) as a music publisher and songwriter. When you write a song, half of the revenue goes to the people who wrote the song and the other half goes to the publisher. The publisher has the right to release your music, it’s licensing. With She-Salt I’ll be able to negotiate every portion of my music.


WHY THE GRIND KEEPS HER SCHEDULE AND MONEY TIGHT

After I leave my 9-5 job in White Plains I usually take two trains to Manhattan ($20 round trip). Sometimes I can be in Manhattan 3-4 times a week on business.

After expenses, a good portion of my money goes to savings, its what I call the She-Salt savings. I use that money for studio time, and products like a program I just bought to record my vocals. I also pay the musicians I work with.

I rarely get paid for my performances, but I attribute that to the grind too.


HER BFF (BLACK FEMME FETISH)

The only thing I really can’t live without is God, which isn’t really a thing; but as an artist, down the rode I can see myself requesting spinach and chocolate almond milk. And I feel lost without my i-POD touch; music has to be with me at all times.


WHY THIS SOULFUL SISTA IS KEEPING IT SOLO

If a guy wanted to take me out to dinner or something, and he’s cool, then I’ll go. But I’m not searching. The grind is too important; no distractions.


Her advice on achieving “true swag”

Believe and cultivate your own light (talent). Do you and don’t compare yourself to or try to be like anyone else. Appreciate the talent and vision that God has given you.



To get more info about She-Salt and her upcoming "Tastetape" follow her on Twitter: SheSalt.

3 comments:

LilMizSunshyne said...

Great post on Ms. She-Salt Timeka - love your blog! :)

ImJustTash said...

Wonderful Blog!!!!
I know She-Salt will be a GREAT success!

Janel said...

I love this and I love the blog! YASSSSS!