Monday, June 14, 2010

What on earth are they here for?

Dear BFDiary,

I was a true blue PBS kid. You know, "The Puzzle Place” and “Mister Rogers” in the morning. After school meant quality time with Ms. Frizzle and the “diverse” crowd of students on “The Magic School Bus.” I justified all the time I didn’t listen in my science class at school, by never missing an episode with Ms. Frizzle. I’ll never forget the day she taught me that bugs were good and had a purpose in the universe. They maintained a natural balance; without the big insects, there would be nothing to eat the small insects, and then all the crops would die…something like that. God created the insects and they are serving the purpose that He had in mind.

I’m on the 40-day journey of completing The Purpose Driven Life by Pastor Rick Warren and was reminded of the insect lesson a few days ago. Over 30 million people around the world have also taken this journey to help discover to the question “What on earth am I here for?”. Warren quickly assures us that our purpose in life has more to do with God’s will, and little to do with what brings us pleasure. So it seems ignorant not to ask the question of what on earth are the insects here for. If God created something or permitted it to come into my life, than surely, it’s there for a purpose. Understanding that purpose could be the difference between happiness and misery.

Now, I’m not saying that understanding the purpose of mosquitoes will make their bites any less annoying. I am saying that understanding we were both created by God means harmony is possible when we both fulfill our purpose.

Let’s take food for example. God created the earth to bring forth healthy crops to nourish us, and, animals for us to eat as well. He did not create, high-fructose corn syrup and trans fat. Shows like "The Biggest Loser" are examples of what happens when we as humans are re-educated on the purpose of food, and get back to our purpose of honoring the bodies we are given. When you understand that food is a tool for nourishment and not a pacifier for when you’re having a bad day, you’ll naturally only eat the foods that actually have nourishment. Foods that cause more harm to your body than good, are not serving the purpose for which food was created, and therefore, don’t belong in your system.

I’m making the commitment to ask myself the purpose of a thing before accepting it into my life? Will that apple pie from Mickey D’s bring me more harm than good? If friends are supposed to serve the purpose of confidante and homegirl can’t hold water, does she belong in my inner circle? Will the Tom Ford Aviator sunglasses make me look good now? Yes. What about later? I’ll still look good, but the bill will make me sick.

What things in your life need a purpose check?

1 comment:

Regular Et Cetera said...

You know what needs a purpose check in my life? Liquid soap. I have yet to see how it is truly that much better than the bar. I mean it's different from the bar, this is true. Better? I don't think so. More expensive. Hell yea! Damnation! If only I could get that same lathery goodness with the soap and towel... clearly I digress.